Mad gross, right? That is the hand of my former coworker, Pablo. I am not certain what the heck even happened since he won’t tell me the details. I’m guessing he’s too embarrassed to say. But from the looks of it, I can only guess that it was the meat slicing machine that did this…ripping apart his finger tips. That is pretty bad and must have hurt like hell. Pablo wasn’t able to use his hand for a month and had to go on disability. But he’s recovered and is back to working again.Last year, I remember Pablo texting me a picture of the tip of his thumb slightly cut off. And that incident was from the meat slicer too. But it was such a tiny little cut compared to this. He was telling me that our boss joked about serving his thumb tip as a special that night….chef humor...*sighs* At the time, he was slicing charcuterie and tried to pick out a piece that was stuck within the blade while the machine was running…never a good idea. Apparently, Pablo likes to live dangerously. And well, being the dare devil that he is, he certainly ended up paying the price.
I have asked Pablo many times how he got this last injury. And he’d joke and tell me, “ran into some bad pussy”. And I’d say to him, “Geez stay away from them dirty hookers”. LOL…(that’s kitchen language for ya)Fortunately for me, I have never had any serious/severe injuries. I don’t even know what I’d do if I ever did. I’d probably die from shock. I wouldn’t be able to take it. All I’ve had so far were minor cuts and burns, nothing out of the norm. Most of those common mishaps were from rushing, feeling the pressure, taking less precaution, being sleepy, or whatever.
However, when I am operating one of them seemingly intimidating machines, I take extra extra precaution. My paranoid side really kicks in whenever I am near a dangerous machine. I am on high alert and not let anything else distract me because a lot of times, it’s those small distractions that can lead to the biggest accidents.The meat slicer really is the machine I hate using the most. I’ve heard and seen too many horror stories caused by that thing. Once, I heard about some guy having his arm ripped out by one of them machines. YIKES!
Last year, another chef at work injured himself with one of those small handheld blenders. That little thing can really do some serious damage. I think he was trying to get something out of the blade or something when he got distracted when someone came up to him and talked to him..and he accidently pushed the ON button. That thing sliced his fingers and blood oozed out all over the floor, walls, and squirted onto the ceiling. OMG!
Before professional cooking, I enjoyed being a home cook. Those were the days!! I was able to cook in peace, watch TV while making a meal, and go at my own pace. I never had the need to rush. I didn’t even know the meaning of feeling the pressure of cooking. Back then, cooking/baking was a soothing, relaxing activity. It was therapeutic, even. Now, it’s completely something else.